Tempera and wax emulsion on canvas
20 x 28in (50.8 x 71.1cm)
Gift of Robert L. B. Tobin through the Friends of the McNay
Towards the end of his life, Dove and his wife, Helen "Reds" Torr, lived on the North Shore of Long Island, New York, in a cottage that looked across Mill Pond at the twin-peaks of buildings occupied by the Franciscan brothers. From 1939 to 1942, Dove did ten watercolor sketches of these buildings, which evolved to two free-floating diamonds with minimal reference to the architecture. The diamonds document Dove's move toward "pure painting," equating "purity" with release from representation. On August 20, 1942, two days before he did his last watercolor, he wrote: "Work at point where abstraction and reality meet."
© The Estate of Arthur G. Dove, courtesy Terry Dintenfass, Inc.