Maker and role
Artist: Master of Frankfurt, Southern Netherlandish, 1460-ca.1533
See full details
This painting was originally part of an altarpiece that included the companion painting of Saint Catherine (see 1955.12). Attributed to the Master of Frankfurt because of their similarity to his other known works, these paintings were probably located on the wings of an altarpiece with the images facing a central panel. Both saints' heavy-lidded eyes are hallmarks of the Master of Frankfurt's style. The two paintings may have been cut short, since most other figures by the Master of Frankfurt are full-length.
Be the first to comment.